We appreciate the Skiing industry isn’t known for its green credentials, but we have a conscience. Here at Snomads we’re passionate about offering great mountain adventures whilst minimising our impact on the local environment.
This year we’re excited to be working with Ecologi aiming to plant over 1000 trees a year whilst additionally continuing to offset carbon. Our pledge is to plant 2 trees per guest this season. To follow our progress and find out more information on the projects we’re supporting you’ll find more information here.
In resort we’ve also been busy working with the local community helping to establish an annual tree planting scheme, and now plant two native trees for every guest that stays with us. If you’re interested in learning more, please let us know.
With much of the surrounding area recognised as a UNESCO World Heritage site, we operate with the aim of protecting it and its wonderfully unique wildlife.
As well as caring about our local environment we work with the charity Snow Camp, the UK’s only national charity to inspire young people to excel through skiing, snowboarding, life-skill training and qualifications.
With every Snomads stay you stand with us on the issues that matter.
- Only using seasonal produce in our menu; we support local artisans and market sellers whenever we can.
- Sourcing only local, organic and pasture fed red meat, which means a lower carbon output.
- All of our eggs are free range and sourced from the weekly markets.
- We tend to avoid dairy products from massive industrial dairy farms.
- We keep the money we spend in resort by choosing local industries, supporting small family run businesses wherever we can.
- Snomads practice is to re-use food where we can in the kitchen (the neighbour’s pigs and chickens get through anything that might be left-over).
- We recycle tins, glass and cardboard as we know these get recycled properly.
- All plastic bottles, containers and films get washed, dried and turned into permanent building materials by us, trapping the carbon and keeping it out of landfill.
- We don’t provide bottled water or endorse unethical fizzy drink companies.
- Keeping our energy consumption to the minimum with well-insulated walls and double-glazed windows.
- Have mostly A and AA rated appliances, and an increasing amount of low energy lighting where possible.
- Keeping paper and chemical ink use to a minimum with our online booking system.
- Use waste paper and cardboard we get from packaging to light our fires throughout the Winter.
- We use environmentally friendly cleaning products where we can and implement methods in the kitchen that avoid unhygienic and unrecyclable kitchen sponges.
- Reducing water, electricity and detergent by only changing towels on request.
- All our chalets run on efficient and sensible heating systems, some fueled by wood sustainably sourced from local forests.
- We encourage our guests to be mindful of energy consumption; heating systems are on a timer and operate at a lower output when guests are skiing to minimise wasted energy.
- Encourage guests to come by train by offering substantial discounts and station transfers. Get in touch for more information.
- Installing a compost system across all chalets for processing the food waste that the neighbouring chickens can’t eat.
- A weekly in-house bottle rental scheme to limit the amount of single use plastic brought into our chalets. The water that comes out the taps is straight from the mountain and tastes delicious.
- Expanding our plastic/bamboo toothbrush swap scheme across all chalets. Did you know every plastic toothbrush ever made still exists?
the snomads ethos
By reducing our carbon footprint, reducing plastic waste, sourcing ethical meat and supporting local producers, we’ve created a sustainable base for you to experience the real Bulgaria and Poland.
We’re always looking for ways we can reduce our negative impact on the environment and operate more sustainably. We’re also super keen to hear your ideas so if you want to suggest anything, please feel free to get in touch.